Denny coined the phrase: “modern-meets-retro”
PART I: I am very happy to report that there will be a new She & Him album released December 2!
The album is called “Classics” and it will be a “cover”album of classic songs, performed in that Modern-Meets-Retro sound that Mr. Matthew Ward-sama applies to his records. Very authentic. Not sarcastic … not a parody … the sound is a tribute. She and Him covers are faithfully made with love to the genres — and to the eras.
They are perhaps my favorite American group. You will get about a 23 preview of the Dusty Springfield cover in the clip here.
I love this clip — too bad it is so short. Did you see me enjoying my stereo? I was thin and professional looking at the time. The only way it would have been more accurate would be if I were in my bomb shelter (hiding from tornadoes).
You may visit the official She & Him website linked here. I just looked and …
OH WAIT!!! The whole song is available on the official channel now! Super! Super!!
Can you tell that I am happy? … and did you SEE those HAIRCUTS?
However, I am perhaps only slightly disappointed that Zooey Deschanel has not written another collection of songs for the album. I consider Zooey Deschanel to be a brilliant pop-music songwriter. As I had blogged about in a previous post linked here, I get a lot of weird looks and laughs when I make that statement. “But she is a woman!” “She is only an ACTRESS!” they say, meaning that they think she can’t be a serious songwriter-musician. “But she is too pretty!” – they say, meaning that she cannot be taken seriously. I disagree … but I digress …
The new album was recorded “Live in the studio” with a 20-piece orchestra. This will be the track list, and who the originals were by …
1. Stars Fell on Alabama (Guy Lombardo, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong)
2. Oh No, Not My Baby (Maxine Brown, Dusty Springfield, Aretha Franklin, Carole King)
3. It’s Not for Me to Say (Johnny Mathis)
4. Stay Awhile (Dusty Springfield)
5. This Girl’s in Love with You (Herb Alpert)
6. Time After Time (Frank Sinatra, Chet Baker & Shirley Bassey)
7. She (Charles Aznavour, Elvis Costello)
8. Teach Me Tonight (Frank Sinatra, the DeCastro Sisters)
9. It’s Always You (Bing Crosby, Benny Goodman, Chet Baker)
10. Unchained Melody (The Righteous Brothers, Elvis Presley, Lee Ann Rimes)
11. I’ll Never Be Free (Van Morrison, Willie Nelson, Jean Shepard)
12. Would You Like to Take a Walk (Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong)
13. We’ll Meet Again (Vera Lynn, the Byrds)
Soon “Classics” will be heard on this radio!
PART II: The Misunderstood Deschanel-sama
Let me share a little more She and Him music with you, as I am now jumping out of my pants in anticipation …
My favorite She & Him album is 2010’s Volume II. “In the Sun” is a bubbly throw-back to 1970s pop. I will share the MISUNDERSTOOD music video on this YouTube link:
Why misunderstood? The official music video looked very “High School”. Critics thought that Zooey-chan was just badly imitating Britney Spears. By her own admission, Zooey is not the best dancer (I always thought she was fine, but we are sometimes our own worst critics). The “big butts” missed the point of the song, but that is always par for the course.
This high-school theme masks the simple, yet poignant lyrics about a woman who is slowly coming to the realization that she wants to leave her husband.
Full lyrics and guitar chords linked here.
On that note, I will also share this perhaps better, more sincere, She & Him performance on the David Letterman Show later the same year. Turn on the HD! At the end, even Paul Schaeffer exclaims “I LOVED THAT”.
So do I, and I will be patently waiting for more Deschanel-penned originals : )
See more Zooey and Matt on my Pinterest board linked here