I finally found a website — ukn48 — that posted a HD version of one of my favorite AKB music videos!
There are even English Subtitles!!!
Use the link below to watch the video on JPOPSUKI — a website I highly recommend! (Or Video link up here for new window)
I know, I know … long Jpopsuki load times. You can also see it on this faster website, but it is lower quality.
Thank you, Radio Hanoi for posting this!
A very amusing music video from AKB48 Team B!
The song is “Tiny T-Shirt” from 2013. This is a coupling song (aka “B-side”) from the AKB48s 33rd single “Heart Ereki”. Pop music historians know that sometimes a “B-side” is sometimes a better song than the hit single! It sure is an enjoyable music video — and it is another reason WHY I LIKE AKB48.
The amusing story begins with a man taking out his trash, and finds a “housekeeping flyer” so commonly distributed around suburban neighborhoods. (photo above.) If you ask me, this guy’s t-shirts are anything but tiny. Finding the housekeeping flyer, the guy imagines what it would be like to have the AKB48 girls clean his house. He is only just imagining the whole thing apparently. Had I been the director, I may have played it out differently. For example, as seen at one point in the video, Haruka burns a shirt while ironing, and Yuki overloads the washing machine. They could have done more with this concept. In my telling, I would have had the girls completely destroy his house. Of course, the guy would not mind, just because the AKB48 girls are so cute. I envision him smiling and waving goodbye as his house smolders. No matter.
The video does raise a number of Socio-Economic and Cultural questions:
1. Is the video music director trying to say that AKB48 fans are flabby, delusional nerds? … if so then why wasn’t I chosen for the part? : (
2. Were they trying to say that Westerners have big noses? (See “Casablanca” movie parody segment.)
3. Was it Haruna’s banana that the homeowner slipped on, thus knocking him out? This then compelled the Western fantasy dream sequence — cowboys drinking beer, as Santa Claus flew in.
4. For that matter, why was Santa Claus wearing a cowboy hat ?
5. How many meals does this American guy need? Are they saying that Westerners are overfed?
Full lyrics in Japanese, Romani and English are available from Stage48. Also color-coding of who-sings-which- line are also provided there by Stage48!
Also of interest is the “Theater Version” of the song. The sound/video quality is not great, but it is a great chance for fans to see them in their Akihabara (AKB) Theater. Watch on vimeo.
It took four months for this starlight to reach my world. DS