[Readers: Please play the YouTube music while you read my post. I chose it for the special emotions I am feeling today]
Today, I wanted to discuss my blog, blogging stats, other bloggers and such. I am getting close to 200,000 views on my blog. I guess that is good. I noticed that I get a big jump in views when a new Pokemon game comes out. Perhaps I should have monetized my site. Since I started blogging in 2014, I have always used the “free” WordPress site. I have over 400 “followers” but I think that most of them are “commercial” blogs. There are only a handful of WP bloggers who actually read and comment on my blog. (I’m winking at you Mabel and the Otaku Judge.) I subscribed to several music, anime and Pokemon blogs. I have seen them come — and I have seen the bloggers go — on this site. Some of my followers who I used to read and interact with … only stayed around for a few months, then they would disappear into the blogging ether.
Where am I going with this? (Denny sighs sadly, exhales) …I have to be honest –
I miss MorningBerryz48.
Some of my fellow bloggers know her. Her homepage is linked here.
“MB” as I will call her, was the greatest Japanese pop culture/Idol music/ AKB blogger I have known. She shares a lot of great articles and media on her blog. Also, she’s intelligent, witty, and maybe “a little naughty” at times. She was more than just a pile of random electrons to me. I miss her replies to all my goofy comments, and my weak attempts at comedy. If I ever made her smile, then that is a light upon the world. (That’s not hyperbole is it?)
Jesus, … er .. I mean Buddha … What a great lady she is. Look at her website. She likes music, but she also likes sports. The lady even likes stock-car racing. I know that I do not follow racing, but that fact that SHE likes it just adds more depth and dimension to her cultural multiverse. She lives in Hawaii, so that means that the place really is paradise.
She liked, and posted about Watarirouka Hashiritai. Do you people realize how long I have wanted to talk to another soul on this planet about the Watarirouka Hashiritai 7? Glorious God in heaven … I am not ALONE … in this cold, cruel world. Another person who “gets” my appreciation for Idol songs. Up until now, my friend’s reactions to my AKB48 fandom has usually been the old “Get Away From Me Man”. I’m talking to you Bob, and Nate.
She introduced me to so many Japanese musical artists, who I would otherwise never know even existed. She is a great Idol historian. A true Idol scholar. She taught be about Coco, ribbon, ZARD, Qlair and many others.
When I discovered this genre of idol music from the late 80s, early 90s it was like memories were activated from my parallel life. I never knew about this stuff at the time. It was something which I always missed, but which I never knew even existed. Something was missing in my musical life in the early 1990s, but I never knew exactly what it was. MB has eased my pain. The hole in my heart was filled. Somewhere in the space-time continuum, it is 1992 and I am listening to ribbon.
Thus, she made a difference in my life — and I’m not making one of my smartass jokes here. Music is very important for me. Her blog’s influence is a big part of my current listening.
I loved reading her articles with morning coffee on the weekends, or wasting company time in the office, or checking in one a day to see if I missed anything. I learned a lot from her blog. When I first started blogging I thought I might become some type of expert on Idols/AKB. (Denny exhales.) I can’t even come close. Nothing has made me prouder however, than when she would comment on one of my posts.
(Denny sighs again — heavily):
MB has stopped writing her blog … at least for now. She said it was because of technical problems, but there may other reasons, and I respect that. For whatever reason(s) she has stopped posting. I have been going through the usual five stages of grief.
- Denial: “This can’t be happening” I thought. No more Idol video links? … this is NOT happening … Nope, definitely NOT happening. I had hysterical blindness when she posted that she was quitting. I was bumping into lamps, tripping over the couch.
- Anger: Damn that computer which crashed and caused her to lose so much work. It is a conspiracy I tell you! It is all SONY’s fault. (Denny shakes fist, imitating Homer Simpson): Your empire would lay in smoking ruins you bastards … if I didn’t need a new PS4 so much. You corporate screw-ups will pay for taking her away from me … you will ALL PAY!!!
- Bargaining: “Maybe she can just post once in a while”. Maybe she can stop after she finishes that big “Coco” post she was working on when her computer failed. Maybe she can just make a post when there is a new AKB48 record. Maybe just a top-ten list post at the end of the year. Maybe …
- Depression: “Why go on?” Why get out of bed in the morning if I can never enjoy learning about the Idol genres I love. There won’t be a post about the new HKT48 single, so nothing matters. In fact, I will stop blogging now. What’s the point if her light is not in this electronic world anymore?
- Acceptance: “It was good while it lasted” There are still a lot of old articles, and articles from her previous blog site. I just feel lucky to have known her. She is a great lady and has other interests. Perhaps it is time for a break. Time to concentrate on other life goals. Perhaps there may be some guy in her life who is on the receiving end of her efforts now. (The lucky bastard.)
I would be honored if I could call her “friend”. I know that some of my Internet friends, Derek, Matthew and others also miss her. You guys, if you get a chance, re-blog my article. Tweet, or Face-tube or whatever-the-devil you kids call it — to get my message in a Poke bean bottle out there.
If any of my current readers love MB’s blog even half as much as I did, please sign a tribute comment below.
Starlight: MB, if you are out there, I’m not really crazy.